Friday, March 20, 2009

Let's keep our eyes on the states, too

Maybe I'll just rename this blog "To Do What I Will With Chuck Baldwin's Articles."

This has been eating at me for a while now, and Tim Lambert's newsletters on home schooling freedoms from the THSC have cemented it in my mind: It's easy to focus on what's happening in Washington, but the less-glamorous-but-not-less-important state business needs as much, if not more, attention.

Mr. Baldwin points out that we need to rein in these rogue state legislatures. I take a look at Texas, though, and see some real potential. Yeah, we have a lot of opponents to classical liberalism concentrated in the major cities, especially since Katrina, but we still have one of the strongest state economies and, of course, the best people. Over time, I think that some good education and strong leadership could turn Texas into an even better example of the success of freedom and limited government.

I'm trying to keep reminding myself to stay involved in state issues, and I encourage you to do the same. Austin is a shorter trip than D.C., anyway, and as weird as they are, the people are still more pleasant.

No comments: